Known as the “queen” of all the yoga asanas out there, Sarvangasana is one of the most effective yoga poses to wipe out common health issues from your body. Although studies are still being conducted, experts from some schools of the ancient practice believe that it enhances the functioning of your thyroid glands and also immediately improves the flow of blood to your upper body, including the brain. It can help to alleviate symptoms of common cold as well as migraines and headaches.
The thyroid gland plays a huge role in our body, influencing the function of many of the body’s most important organs, including the heart, brain, liver, kidneys and skin. Ensuring that the thyroid gland is healthy and functioning properly is vitally important to the body's overall well-being.
Here, the word ‘sarva’ means “the entire body” while the word ‘asana’ translates to ‘pose’ or ‘posture’ in English. As the pose requires you to support your entire body on your shoulders, it is also known as a Shoulder Stand.
If you are wondering why you should do it every day, then this blog is for you. Here is why you should learn it ASAP:
- This pose is special because it makes your upper body really strong, when done daily. At the same time, it also boosts your energy levels meaning that you won’t reach for the snooze button anymore!
- It enhances the functioning of your blood vessels, making them more efficient at sending blood to the upper regions of the body.
- If you suffer from recurrent bouts of constipation or indigestion, this should be your go-to yoga pose. Your abdomen gets a good shake up when it is high up in the air which inevitably helps in bowel movement. If you have saggy body parts this pose will help to tighten them as well, thus giving you a more youthful appearance.
- Since there is increased flow of blood and oxygen to your scalp, there is a marked decrease in hair fall and other hair problems.
- If you are looking for a remedy for the hunch in your back because of prolonged sitting, then you should give this pose a try. When done right, it corrects bad posture and also enhances your spine’s flexibility while toning your back.
- The Salamba Sarvangasana can also help tackle anxiety and insomnia. So if you are someone who has been facing sleep problems, this pose is for you.
Bear in mind that the Salamba Sarvangasana is an advanced yoga pose. If performed incorrectly, you can injure yourself. Also, many people suffering from high blood pressure, hypertension or severe neck/ back issues are advised against trying it out.