Practising hatha yoga regularly but not getting the most out of it? Your diet must be the culprit.
The most important aspect of yoga that practitioners fail to understand is that yoga is not just a series of postures and stretches but that it is a way of life.
To benefit substantially and holistically, it's best to make lifestyle changes in daily habits, diet and environment.
Nutrition is a major part of yogic practices, yet it hardly gets any attention. If you are grabbing burgers on the go and eating fried, oily foods at all times, then your body will not be ready for the changes that yoga tends to bring. It will nullify the benefits of the practices and adversely affect your health.
To derive the most benefit from your yoga practice, here are a few pointers that you should follow pertaining to the food habits.
- Work out in the morning on an empty stomach just as people are supposed to do it. If that doesn’t work for you, then get a light smoothie or juice (at least 1 hour prior) before you start.
If you go to yoga classes for beginners, then ensure that you don't eat anything atleast three hours before the class. If you don’t do this, then you might suffer from excessive bloating, gas, or constipation.
- Remember to hydrate after the class as yoga can cause water loss through sweating.
- Avoid high-fiber food items at night as they are digested very slowly. .
- Wrap up your dinner not too long after sunset as the 'pingala' energy or 'yang' that contributes towards the digestive fire starts diminishing after sunset. Eat something light (the best option would be a nutritious salad). If you choose to consume meat, small portions are the way to go.
- Choose a healthy combination of carbs and protein post a yoga session although try to avoid this after dark. Refuel with quinoa, yogurt, tofu, or nuts.
These are just a few of the really simple nutrition options and lifestyle practices that you should follow if you want the yogic practices to have a positive impact on your mind, body, and soul. Stay tuned for more such updates!