Your mental and physical health can go for a toss if you have a job that requires you to be sitting at a desk for the greater part of the day. Finding the time to exercise can be an issue, especially if you have to commute long distances to get to work
But we cannot stress enough on the importance of exercise when you have a 9-to-5 job. Not only will it work wonders for all the back pain and neck stiffness that you are prone to, but it will also enhance your mood and calm your mind. If you still believe that physical strenuous fitness regimens are out of the question, given your crazy schedule, we recommend that you give yoga a chance!
You should know that being at your desk all day long can lead to a lot of mental and physical health issues, ranging from cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, depression, anxiety, muscle sprains, and knots all throughout the body. Moreover, when you are in a sitting position for prolonged periods of time, you deprive your body’s extremities of oxygen, due to which you return home with stiff joints and muscles. Just a little bit of exercise is all you need to fight these issues and also to get rid of all the stress and tension that’s part of the job. If you are considering going down this path, here are some yoga poses, to begin with.
- Lay down on your belly on the yoga mat.
- Press your palms on the mat, at chest level.
- Start lifting your chest off the floor while having your hips placed firmly on the floor.
- As you stretch deeper with your arms and palms bearing your weight, lift your thighs and knees off the yoga mat. Your feet should bear the weight of your lower body.
- Look up at the ceiling and maintain this position for 7-10 seconds while focusing on breathing deeply.
- Return to the original position and repeat.
- Lie on your back, with arms placed by your sides.
- Bend your legs at the knees and place your heels on the yoga mat, pulling them as close to your buttocks as possible.
- Straighten your arms and use your palms to support yourself as you raise your hips off the floor.
- Clasp your palms together behind your back. Hold this position for 4-8 breaths to give your back a nice long stretch. Release slowly.
If you are an overworked employee who’s on the brink of a burnout, give yoga a chance. It not only makes efficient your body but also calms your mind. It will help you to realize what’s really important in life, and assist you in coping with challenges that life throws at you, every single day.
Looking for an experienced yoga teacher in the UK to guide you through the process? Get in touch with us!